Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Random Thoughts

So these days I think a lot about what it means to be a mom, what my role is, what my shortcomings are, what I actually enjoy about staying at home, etc. Not that I actually have a ton of time to even have deep thoughts about any of these things.

Anyhow, I did just hear on the radio a commentary about how U.S. culture teaches children that "prosperity" is what will ultimately make them happy. It was interesting to hear thoughts/beliefs verbalized that I didn't even know I held. I think as a parent I often think about my daughter growing up educated, doing well in school/sports/music (or whatever her little heart desires), going on to college, getting a good job and/or finding success in a career, finding a wonderful husband, getting married, living a comfortable middle class life, etc. I think more than I would want to admit I believe these things will make her "happy".

And yet, my faith teaches something different. It's not the resume or checklist of "socially acceptable" achievements that will make her happy, though they may make her life easier. I believe that God calls us to be happy and content wherever we are in life. I want my daughter to find happiness whether she's a janitor or a lawyer. I want her to be happy whether she struggles financially, living paycheck to paycheck, or whether she's swimming in dollars. I want her to be able to find happiness when life deals her the hardest hand. So how do I do this?

The commentary I heard on the radio made me really think hard about what I'll truly teach my daughter, about where I'll invest my time and resources, and the importance of my role in her life. I don't want Rachel Evan to rely on "prosperity" for life's happiness. I want her to seek God's will and purpose in her life. I want her to find true joy that comes from knowing there is more to life that what we see here. I want her to find contentment in who God made her. I pray that I'll continue to search my motives when making decision for Rachel and when teaching her things about life.

Now, on a totally different note. Today Rachel Evan said to me:

R11: "Momma, are you a woman?" (She's recently started calling me Momma.)
Nicole: "Yes, Rachel. I am a woman."
R11: "Noooo! Momma, you are not a woman. You are a mommy."

I laughed when she said this to me. I laughed hard. But, I also couldn't stop thinking about it. Even my daughter knows that we (women) give up so much to be mothers.

No comments: